Monday, April 21, 2008

My first trip to Wyoming

Found these photos in the disaster area known as the computer room the other day, I have apparently forgotten to put them in an album for 2.5 years. AYEEEEEEEE. Anyway thought I'd scan a few of the more scenic ones from my October 2005 trip to Wyoming where I took the scenic Oregon/Mormon/Westward Ho FuddDucker trail leaving the Interstate at Ogallalla (Is that too many L's or not enough?) going up to Scottsbluff then cutting over to WY on county roads ending up North of Cheyenne on I25. Would scan the Scottsbluff picture but it is surrounded by a freaking golf course so not very "Western" looking to my eye.

The first picture is one of the landmarks of those emigrant trails known today as Chimney Rock (its a national park service place) but locals say the Indians there called it something that means deer penis rock. I don't know, I've never seen one.

Then there's jail and courthouse rocks also a landmark but unfortunately they are on private property so this is as close as you get, there's a marker there on the side of this little narrow county road explaining how they rise 400 feet from plains of the North Platte and can be seen for around 30 miles on the trail. I think the guy that owns the property offers wagon rides around them. Hey a farmer has to make a buck with diesel worth the price of gold.
One of my favorite trail landmarks is this little tree on Interstate 80, it is so unique (and was noted in several emigrants diaries on the Overland trail) that there is a pullout or pullin from both sides of the interstate so you can stop, take pictures etc. You can't go to the bathroom though, no facilities, just the tree.


And the first sign that I was in real cowboy country was this one for the Dead Horse Food and Spirits, 24 hr gas and diesel in LaGrange. Next time I'm through there I believe I will pop in for a bit. Maybe they have cool T shirts.

No comments:


Vger and Tory Running Wilder