Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Do as I say not as I do...

While this is a rant about dog breeders, it is certainly applicable in all areas of life. I certainly remember it applied to more than one of the Southern Baptist preachers I grew up with.

At any rate years ago I acquired a dog I thought ( and still do think) was fabulous. He had everything I wanted him for, type, speed, dentition, great running gear, topline, tail carriage, and his head on completely straight. I love the dog, he was a very successful competition dog for me, passed the health tests got a CHIC number and I used him several times in my breeding program, in addition to allowing him to be used by a couple of outside bitches. He produced number 1 dogs in racing and lure coursing and many dogs ranked in both in addition to producing ring champions and being a number 1 racing dog himself. He's been a lot of fun. Anyway, this one novice whackado jumped up and down saying I was going to cause some bottleneck in the performance dog gene pool with him and that I shouldn't breed him young (just under 3) even though he was health tested and cleared.
Years later ( and this person is still a novice due to their mindset and lack of animal husbandry skills) I have watched several debacles of this same person doing things they haranged others for either in person or online. Things like:
a. breeding young dogs with no "credentials" and no health testing
b. breeding dogs that had produced things like hip dysplasia without testing the parent who produced it for it before using them again
c. breeding litters and then placing all of the pups (I've never said there was anything wrong with it but this crackpot used to jump on people on lists for the same thing)
d. breeding litters when they don't have money or resources for keeping them all as long as necessary (this was the first thing my original mentor told me was required for breeding Borzoi ie. be able to keep them a long time as they are not always easy to find the correct placements for)
e. contacting people's puppy buyers and saying nasty things about the parents or the lines to try and prevent them getting a puppy
f. linebreeding on the same problems (hell the SAME DOGS) they are intent on giving other people a hard time about
g. selling puppies that aren't permanently identified (one of their puppy buyers told me to my face when she was picking up a puppy that it was not chipped or tattooed)

The list could go on but you get the idea, truly, "Do as I say not as I do". This kind of person really should be breeding Chi Poos or Puggles something they can sell quick, requiring no health testing and bail out of everytime they have a personal problem.

No comments:


Vger and Tory Running Wilder