Saturday, September 6, 2008

November NM itinerary

Looking at a November calendar it appears that:

Friday November 21 my van will be PACKED and ready to load out. I'll be arriving home at 4:15 PM, loading Kix and Vger for sure and then (To the right is what I really hope to see a good bit of! ie. Borzoi chasing rabbits) probably Beckett and Charo (and probably Umber who goes everywhere with me) for the long drive West. I expect I will arrive in the Little Rock area between midnight and 1 AM Sat morning. Name of the game will be drive drive drive, walk dogs when I get to either a hotel North of Little Rock ( there's a pretty nice motel 6 there I've stayed at or go to my friend Rebecca's, Rebecca is South of LR and more comfortable to stay with dogs by far so even though it adds time to my drive the next morning I think probably Bauxite is where I'm headed. This piece of the trip is about 30 miles to I40 for me then 288 miles West out of TN, then another 150 into Arkansas.

Saturday November 22 wherever I'm leaving from I hope to get up and be on the road by say 7 AM, my atlas says Oklahoma is around 330 miles across so hoping to cover the 150 across the rest of AR and then through OK to arrive in Northern TX maybe by 3 PM? Gotta have a dogwalking in there somewhere after leaving AR. There's 176 miles to cover in TX and there is a canyon that I really want to see (Palo Duro) just south of Amarillo, and of course Cadillac Ranch which I have driven past but didn't get photos of before. So my timing for this I'm not sure of. I'd love to be at my friend Leonore's house Saturday night but realistically I am thinking maybe staying at the Blue Swallow in Tucumcari if they will allow dogs. This would keep me from staying on the road past when I should really be off of it and I get to take photos in the canyon, CR and maybe a great sunset in Tucumcari. I love the mesalands.

Sunday November 23rd I hope to be up and at em again by 7 PM maybe earlier, looks like I have around 150 miles to cover to get to Leonore's Rancho Abordo in Sandia Park which is quite close to Sandia Peak so I am hoping to be there say nineish in the morning (I'll try not to get terribly distracted on the drive over . So maybe after 2 days and around 1600 miles on the road with 4 or 5 furry riding companions maybe Leonore will be up for "local" sightseeing that day. I'd like to hit the Peak/tramway and then afterwards drive up Turquoise trail and actually stop at some of the cool places on that route, there are a number of ghost towns I think and ruins of old ghost towns.

Monday November 24th-You know there is so much to do in this state it is unreal but I have tried to look at things that won't drive me to death before a weekend of walking in the desert . I think Monday will be spent going to Quarai, Grand Quivera and Abo at Salinas Mission National Monument, they are all in the same vicinity south of Sandia, maybe also hit Sevilleta NWR on the way back up to Sandia. If not Sevilleta then maybe the Very Large Array near Socorro NM.

Tuesday November 25th I hope that I am not driving my host crazy by then or that my dogs are not. You know what they say about fresh fish and out of town guests, they both start to smell after about 3 days . Leonore mentioned Chaco Culture National Historical Park and said "like no other place on earth". For my part I never feel closer to God than those rare moments I can be in a vast wilderness. The first overlook at Yellowstone where Yellowstone Lake glitters like the biggest sapphire in the world made me weep. I cry at anything maybe it's being middle aged. When I was driving through Gila National Forest back in February one of the overlooks (Emory Pass) at 8200 feet has a 40 plus mile vista. I had to get some paper towel out for that one. Miles and miles I'd drive and never see anyone, however I am now digressing from my November itinerary and getting maudlin. I am sure whatever Leonore comes up with to do will be spectacular, she lives in a state with rare wild beauty everywhere and most of it I haven't seen.

Wednesday November 26th-Gosh I guess I'll save the rest of it for another blog entry. I will say that I am really looking forward to Leonore's authentic New Mexican Thanksgiving!

No comments:


Vger and Tory Running Wilder