Sunday, August 17, 2008

Bloodwork update

everyone after my last Vanderbilt visit July 17. Well although my iron and vitamin D levels still show low on the blood work, my nurse practicioner said that she was pleased as my "stores" were back up so she added a vitamin D to my regime, and another calcium ( Lord I take FIVE big calcium citrates with D a day now) and said to go to non Rx iron in addition to the two multis I take daily so that was good news. Even better news she said if I didn't lose another pound I would be considered a success story for them as my fat % of body weight is now in a normal range and I had lost 40 pounds in the last 3 months but built 20 pounds of muscle ( meaning I lost 60 pounds of fat). She said that she never sees those kinds of numbers on patients and is constantly having to encourage patients who are losing to exercise so that they don't lose muscle mass too ( and I had lost 20 pounds of muscle in the first 3 months when I lost 47 pounds). So I am just keeping on doing what I'm doing, a lot (6 miles daily 5x a week) of power walking and I've added a light workout (for toning) 5x a week with weights that was written up by one of my students that is an ex body builder. I just started that last week so it is way too early to report on it but I can tell you that I think I could walk just about anyone down to a nub in the open field at this point even though I am "pushing 50" (well I'll be 47 in January). I can't say enough good things about my surgeon Dr. William O. Richards and his team at Vanderbilt, they are truly a compassionate and talented group.

No comments:


Vger and Tory Running Wilder