Thursday, August 6, 2009

San Antonio, New Mexico ( or its been 25 years)

I When I was younger I used to draw, paint, sketch, when I was in college I painted some with oils and a little with acrylics but that was 25 years ago when I laid down the brush and was too busy raising my son, going to school and working full time to even consider painting. Everytime I walk by art supplies I think hmmm I sure would like to try again. Finally, last week I was in Hobby Lobby picking up a frame for a piece I had someone else paint for me and they had all art supplies on sale 30% off. I grabbed some brushes, some acrylics, a palette, some canvas boards to work on and this is the first thing I've painted in over two decades. Last November (08) when I was in NM I drove down to the Bosque del Apache NWR and to get there you drive through San Antonio, NM a cute, quaint unincorporated little town just north of the NWR. I stopped and took a photo of their old depot it was appealing to me in the way that ghost town buildings are. There's a bit of artistic license in the background but I'm pretty happy with the effort. Next the depot in Magdalena, NM.

3 comments:

Leonore said...

anyone going to the Bosque has to have a green chile cheeseburger in San Antonio... plan on that this year when you're out.

Vanessa Quinones said...

Nice job on the depot! I love that building, too. You would NOT think you hadn't painted in 25 years - really. Came across your blog in my tracking of all things Magdalena. I'm one of the many artists (but not a painter) who live here. I'll watch for your Magdalena Depot painting, too.

Vanessa Q

Sandra said...

Thanks for the tip on the restaurant, and for the kind words about the painting. I hope when I get out there this fall to go through White Sands, and get some photos, maybe paint something later. Also some more of the Florida mountains and maybe Organ mountains too.

I absolutely loved Magdalena when we drove through it to see the Very Large Array. Stopped on the way back out to get gas, and look around the town. I think I could live there.


Vger and Tory Running Wilder