Monday, January 12, 2009

Some days you're the windshield.....

Warning: Work rant

I try to be an optimist, a yellow dog Democrat, a Christian. I try and treat people as I would want to be treated but some days I want to pinch people's heads off. Most of the time I think I am doing something pretty worthwhile at work, yes I work in a prison with people that most of society would just as soon forget existed, sometimes even sadly their families have been so put off by them that even they feel this way, but occasionally I think maybe I've helped someone and maybe by good example I might have triggered some human and nonsociopathic response in some of these criminals. Recently, one of my students came to me with a photo said his girlfriend had been shot and killed by an exboyfriend. He was genuinely upset and I talked with him tried to comfort him and let him have a couple of days off work. That was maybe a month ago.

Today he got loud in class, I told him hold it down, two seconds later he is loud again, I said hey hold it down and the next thing you go big argument ensues suddenly I am "picking" on him and "singling him out". I'm like "oh no I KNOW you are not playing that race card on me". He's like well maybe, I'm like dude I am doing you a favor by asking you to be quiet instead of just taking your days, suddenly he is all well don't do me no favors do what you got to do, I am sick of you and sick of this class. OK says I then I'll just take some credits and start processing you outa here. Oh says he you gonna do me like that ? you gonna put paper on me well I'll fix you then.

EXCUSE ME? I'll fix you? What? I'm like what ? what did you just say? He's like you put something on me I'll show you, I'll fix you. I'm like are you threatening me? You gotta go buddy you can explain all this to my boss. He's loud all the way down the hall like I'm the one who is the cause of this then running his mouth at my boss. He ends up in lock up I have to do a write up, and it's FREAKING MONDAY. Work SUCKS, people suck, and trying to be compassionate and caring REALLY SUCK. I am really going to have to work on that hate the sin but love the sinner thing tonight. Maybe if I worked on some vodka and sugar free Tang first I could work on the hate thing easier.

No comments:


Vger and Tory Running Wilder