Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Socorro, The Very Large Array and the Bosque

OK it's the day before we are gonna be hunting in Deming and the day after Thanksgiving, up early and headed South , our first stop the VLA (Very Large Array) that you might have seen in the moview Contact with Jodie Foster and that hot young fellow Matthew McConnaghey (sp?). The VLA is located about 50 miles West of Socorro on the plains of San Agustin. It's a beautiful place. There were a small number of pronghorns nearby and two of the bucks had some of the best racks I've ever seen in NM or WY. There was also a good bit of rabbity habbitat that Vger and I checked out, actually he had a pretty good chase there. Going back to Socorro, as we went through Magdalena ( a small mining town) there were several neat buildings. The first is the Magdalena Depot pictured at the right, and of course the Magdalena Marshal's office. We also saw the Marshal cruising around in his car. He didn't look like Matt Dillon though. Then there was this cute and quaint little building labeled Townhome oddly enough so I had to wonder if this was what passes for a townhouse there in Magdalena. I don't know but you can be the judge.




On the way back out through Socorro I got my hunting license and we saw this spectacular church built in 1594 so had to take photos of it too. I would not have found it if not for stopping there for my hunting license as they had a bunch of postcards there of this there with this church on it so I picked one up and said oh my this is here in Socorro and was told yes so of course then I had to have directions to it. Thank goodness they were simple and it was close by. Then it was South to the Bosque Del Apache National Wildlife Refuge before heading to Roswell. Lots of birds. Here's one of the many pintails ( I think that's what this ducky fellow is), snow geese and sandhill cranes, but my favorite favorite moment was seeing one of the two bald eagles that they knew was in the NWR. If you remember earlier I wrote that my friend Leonore had commented at the zoo when we saw 3 magnificent bald eagles that it was sad that most people would only ever see the national bird in a zoo. At that moment I was one of those people but when this fellow or gal appeared at the Bosque I could become one of those that had seen one in the wild. After the Bosque we drove East across the mountains to Roswell, saw a spectacular sunset in Valley of Fires lava flow ( most NM sunsets are spectacular though), we had a meal, I worked out in the gym at the hotel and we got ready to hunt the next day. The rest as they say is history. One of my boys won the breed hunt the next day and I decided to head home while I felt good on Sunday. Enjoy the sunsets!

No comments:


Vger and Tory Running Wilder