Saturday, May 3, 2008

Another in the long list

of things I wish I had not seen. Still photos of Eight Belles desperately trying to get up after breaking both her front legs in the Derby. It isn't like myself and most of America don't know what a fatally injured thoroughbred looks like. Almost every day there is racing you can read about it, and the big events have treated us to these horrific images burned into our brains forever. So pardon me if the only thing I can think of when I think of horse racing are horses breaking down and thrashing around to get up while track personnel try to calm them down and hold them down. Nothing excites those spectators like a big downed animal rolling around like its in pain and probably knows its life is short. Not anthropomorphizing, large quadrapeds are hard wired to depend on their legs for escape. When they don't work, they know there's trouble.

I don't understand WTF is wrong with thoroughbred race people, can they not give those horses one more damn year to get ready. Just one and that really wouldn't be the best but it would beat running immature but very fast horses too young and pushing them so hard. It would surely beat euthanizing so many, and bringing down eventually the wrath of the AR crowd because it is such a horrible and visual image they can use, and I can't effing argue with them about this at all.

So good bye to another great one Eight Belles. I just wish the last photo I'd looked at of you was sailing along on four good legs at over forty miles an hour instead of being held down in the dirt at the Derby with your two shattered legs splayed out before you.

No comments:


Vger and Tory Running Wilder