Friday, April 23, 2010

San Fransisco, Alcatraz et al.


fog on the day we drove over the Golden Gate bridge though

Archie at the bridge


me at the bridge




we had not ever eaten at a Hard Rock so decided to







tunnel from the military days of the prison



prison viewed from the ferry


San Fran viewed from the Rock


prison recreation yard



old military morgue


The lighthouse you can see the city behind it.



Our ferry captain




The bay bridge as viewed from the ferry we lucked up and had no fog on the day we went to "the rock"



sign on the admin building


ASFA's Convention of Delegates was in San Jose, CA this year. Archie and I went. I'd never been to CA, we both work in a prison ( I'm a teacher he's the accounting manager ) so of course we went to see Alcatraz (also drove through the up and down streets of San Fransisco and across the Golden Gate bridge before we flew back. Alcatraz was originally a military prison , the tunnel photo is from the old part of it. American Indians briefly occupied the island in 1970-1971 after it was closed, and the spray painted signs still attest to that. It is administered to by the National Park Service, you ride a ferry over and get to wear a headset with neat tour information and walk around to your heart's content. The view of the bay and the city is beautiful but I could not help but think what a horrible, cold, detached place to confine people. The day we drove over the Golden Gate bridge was really foggy but got a couple of good photos. Free to drive North over it and $6.00 to return to the city on it. Saw my first redwood trees, wow are they big, and managed to get a photo of a Western gull at Alcatraz. Unfortunately it was a traumatic weekend, I knew I had a biopsy coming up the Tuesday after it ( I had a "hot" mammogram) and on the Sunday of ACoD I got a phone call from my son that my father had died. My last couple of months have been kind of full of traumatic events so I have really kept to myself about most everything. Thanks to all who were kind during this time though, you will never know just how much it meant to me.

No comments:


Vger and Tory Running Wilder