Friday, April 23, 2010

Feb 15, Daytona Beach FL








OK here are lots of shorebirds where we walked several miles down the beach on the Monday after the race. I think I have the species right from digging through my Kaufman field guide to North American birds but the big gray gull has me stumped although it is probably another immature Herring gull. The ruddy turnstones are in winter plumage. I matched the royal tern because of the leg and beak color same with the ring billed gull
















The immature herring gull above was BIG fully a third bigger than the bonaparte and ring billed surrounding it. He had found a nice crab to munch on for breakfast.


This is the old boardwalk it looks as though it is being refurbished, might be neat to visit once fixed up.


This is my stumper. If it isn't an immature herring gull someone please tell me what it is?

ah the rare Larus mississippius archiea walking the beach

The Sanderlings and turnstones flocked together.

No comments:


Vger and Tory Running Wilder