Monday, January 4, 2010

Brasstown Bald or How I spent New years Day 2010

The best laid plans of mice and men...............
Had read up on the Southeastern High Points and several of them are drive ups, Brasstown Bald in Northeast Georgia is listed as one of these. A very respectable 4784 feet we decided to drive down on NYD to GA and then drive up to the parking lot at the base of the high point to hike the last 0.6 mile to the observation tower at the top.
















Right.....
We arrived at the intersection of GA 180 and the 3 mile 180 spur that goes up the mountain to the park to find that THE SPUR WAS CLOSED and had a big iron closure thing bolted across it. It was around 3 PM eastern time. Archie is like well we have driven 180 plus miles what is a 3 mile hike. There were two cars that pulled in the parking lot there just as we did and a party of around 8-10 twenty somethings bailed out of their cars and began the ascent after we did. My God what a steep road, wikipedia says the average grade there is 11.2% it is the steepest of the ascent routes. I didn't know that until I read it later but I remember thinking it was unbelievably steep.









At any rate the sun had just begun to set by the time we got to the top, the two parties of youngsters behind us had long given up the chase to bag this high point long before the first of the three mile markers were ticked off. We snapped a couple of photos and ran up the tower, lovely but no photos from there due to the lighting. Dark now and it was only around 28 degrees when it was light, I had a turtleneck and pullover on with my elmer fudd hat and some lined suede gloves. Underdressed for the weather no doubt.

Eleven percent downhill in pitch black darkness and freezing cold was more fun than anyone should have on New Years. No alcohol involved here, we were stone cold sober. At one point my knees protested so much that not only was I walking down this 11% grade with my hands under my arms as I couldn't feel my fingers in the cold when they were only in my pockets but I was descending backwards down the middle in the dark because it was way easier than walking forward downhill. It was a lovely view at the top. My advice go in warmer weather if you plan to hike what is known as Jacks Gap as we did.

2 comments:

Leonore said...

if you're under-dressed it doesn't take much chill to make you cold! kudos for braving the climb in the dark and hopefully next time you'll have more clothes to pile on ;-)

Leigh and Vickie Littleton said...

Stripe and Gareth and I drove up Brasstown Bald by accident in my old Chevy Hi-top with bad rotors and a transmission that didn't want to hold 2nd gear going DOOOOOWWWWWNNNN! 11 freaking percent grade. Yow! We were looking for a much tamer hike to a little Falls near Helen, We did make it there finally, and Tourists Of Many Lands wanted to pet my "Great Danes" and have their pictures made with them.


Vger and Tory Running Wilder