Sunday, May 24, 2009

Lettuce Park, Tampa FL

Today my mother and I went to a local park, what a great place. They have boardwalks several miles along the Lettuce Creek which is boundaried by a cypress swamp. Incredibly scenic despite some intrustions by Florida's state bug "the love bug" gack gack gack, those who know me know I hate and fear bugs and these nasty flying mating creatures are no exception. Coolest things about the park we got to see an osprey nest. I've never even seen an osprey in the wild much lest with a nest that had a couple of fledgelings in it. Second coolest thing alligator in the wild. Where there's one there are probably many. The gator was around 5 feet long on his log next to the creek. Photo of the gator is very good, the ospreys were across the creek so you'll have to be happy with what I took. If you are in Tampa you need to take a walk , drive or skip down t o Lettuce Park if you like to see truly "wild life". The squirrels here really are expecting to be fed, this little guy was out of luck because I do not feed wildlife, I do what the sign says. The photos I took of the actual creek I am pretty in love with may have to enlarge them or see about having one of them painted. There were actual several folks canoeing on this river today ( it was around 88 degrees) and while that looks like so much fun I could not help but think about the 5 foot long alligator not 1/8 of a mile from this spot. I am quite certain he has bigger, older relatives that abide here and I would want a big pontoon boat anywhere there might be an alligator.

No comments:


Vger and Tory Running Wilder