Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Decisions of a Dog Breeder

As you progress through any hobby, hopefully if you stay involved you get "better" in some way at your hobby. For me the consuming hobby since 1985 has been Borzoi. When I first got one that year, I didn't think about breeding the breed but in 1991, I bred my first litter of one puppy. Well, you only need one if its a good one. Barney was that. He was my first homebred champion and field champion, a Best in Field winner and winner of the Borzoi Club of America triathlon in 1995. He set the bar pretty high both for any dogs that would follow and for me I think as a breeder. Wrong pedigree he shouldn't have run, it shouldn't have been a good combination,I shouldn't have been able to do the things that I (a perpetual peon in the dog fancy)did with him. He was the one that taught me a lot, like YOU CAN TOO do that but YOU WILL NEVER DO IT if you don't show up and try.

The longer you live the more you realize you don't know about some things, and the more you realize you don't have to know everything, you just have to know the difference. There is very seldom only one "right" way to do things although many people want to believe that and not only believe it but they want to sell that bill of goods as a fact. Not me, I am nothing if not a believer in a good bit of laissez se faire in others day to day lives. Mother Theresa had a great quote, I believe it goes something like this, "Judging others makes you too busy to love them." I think the second option is the better one.

No comments:


Vger and Tory Running Wilder